Achieving Success in Business: 7 Solid Reasons to Hire a Career Coach
The road to success is peppered with hazards at almost every turn. And no matter how gifted you are or how hard you work, there will come a time when you stall, plateau, or flat out “hit the wall” that keeps you from moving forward and achieving your goals. Fortunately, the upside of obstacles is that they are often opportunities for growth—the kind of growth that can result in major breakthroughs. The challenge is to recognize obstacles for what they really are and then act on them effectively. That’s where a career coach comes in. Whether you are looking to jumpstart a stalled business, change occupations, or start brand new in a field that’s right for you, here’s a look at 7 very good reasons for hiring a career coach to help you realize your full potential.
1. A career coach can help you discover your true passion: We all seek careers that will bring us maximum fulfillment—to do the kinds of things we would do even if we weren’t getting paid. Unfortunately, when choosing a career path that is right for us, our often limited perceptions of ourselves can keep us from looking at all the options. Or maybe we’re already so stuck in a 9 to 5 rut that we feel like we have no other options. In hiring a career coach we are bringing in an unbiased observer who has the ability to see our situation objectively and can help us do the same. Utilizing special tools and techniques, career coaches offer fresh insights and perspectives that can lead you to discover new career options you may not have otherwise considered. And being that many career coaches have strong connections with employers in a number of fields, they can also help to open the doors that can lead you to a more rewarding career.
2. Career coaches facilitate self-discovery: Career coaches have the ability to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses much more objectively than you can. And the coaching process will often lead you to learning new things about who you are and what you’re capable of accomplishing. These realizations can aid you in being more successful on your current career path, or give you the confidence to start a new path altogether.
3. Career coaches can teach you new skills and techniques: In any given field there are always new skills to learn or tools to use that can help you to be more effective. But all too often you’re so busy doing what you’re doing that you don’t have the time or resources to explore them. A business coach who has expertise in your field will not only acquaint you with the latest tools and techniques, they’ll also help you to utilize them for maximum success.
4. Career coaches can help you to overcome fear and doubt: Whether you’re trying to land that first good job, changing careers, or starting your own business from scratch, having fears and doubts is a natural part of the process. In fact, if you’re not experiencing a certain amount of apprehension and uncertainty when making career decisions, then you are probably not setting big enough goals. Career coaches can help you to overcome fear and doubt by helping you to gain a clearer more realistic picture of the risks and rewards of your pursuits. In addition, they will help you to recognize and leverage your strengths and talents to overcome those fears and doubts that are keeping you from success.
5. Career coaches can get you out of a rut: Even savvy entrepreneurs can get stuck in ruts if they’re not careful. And the problem with ruts is that you can fall into one and not even know it. Career coaches are trained to recognize the ruts that lead to career and business stagnation. Armed with a fresh objective eye, they can identify mistakes and help you to avoid repeating them. They can also provide you with unbiased information that will help you to be a better decision maker. And once you get back on course, a business coach can help you to maintain the focus and momentum that will get you to your goals.
6. Career coaches help you to become empowered: Few things are more empowering than achieving success in a career that you love. And that’s what career coaching is all about. It’s about helping others to achieve success through recognizing and living up to their true potential.
Career coaches are more accessible than ever: The lengthy economic downturn has given rise to a greater number of qualified career coaches than ever before. Not only will you find career coaches in Denver, New York, Los Angeles or other metropolitan areas, you’ll now find them in rural areas as well. A quick Internet search should lead you to a number of qualified business coaches in your area.